[Homemade Quantum Computer NMRQCP] I have officially started a project to "build a quantum computer myself"!

*Original Japanese version is available here.

 Hello!

In the previous article, I explained "What is a quantum computer?", but this time I'd like to talk about a major project I started on my own around April.
As the title suggests, I have officially started a project to "build a quantum computer myself"!
You might be thinking, "Doesn't a quantum computer need a giant freezer to cool it down to minus 273 degrees Celsius?" However, the method I am challenging myself with this time uses a mechanism called EFNMR (Earth's Field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance).


Using the Earth itself as a giant magnet!?

Like an MRI in a hospital, a typical NMR uses ultra-powerful superconducting magnets. However, the Earth we live on is actually "one giant magnet" with a North Pole and a South Pole.
Using this natural magnetic field of the Earth to control nuclear spins (qubits) is called "Earth's Field NMR (EFNMR)". Since it doesn't require a massive cooling system, individuals can observe and manipulate quantum mechanical phenomena right on their desks by building circuits and coils themselves.

What exactly am I building?

I am building everything from hardware to software completely from scratch.
  • Polarization/Receiver Coil: A handmade coil made by wrapping enamel wire many times around a transparent PVC pipe that holds samples like water.
  • Signal Processing Circuit: A custom-designed operational amplifier circuit inside an aluminum shield case to pick up extremely weak signals at the nanovolt to microvolt level.
  • FPGA: A dedicated digital circuit for controlling pulse signals at high speed and with high precision.
  • Python: Used for analyzing the acquired signals (FID signals), noise removal, and Fast Fourier Transform (FFT).
  • Power Supply & Control Unit: A lead-acid battery + MOSFET circuit to reduce noise to the absolute limit, along with measurement and monitoring using an M5Stack.

Future plans and updates

To be honest, every day is a process of trial and error, filled with hurdles like noise countermeasures and analog waveform distortion.
However, instead of just waiting until it's finished, I plan to continuously share the "real process of experiments, including the failures"!
If you are wondering things like "Will it really work?" or "How do you generate waveforms?", please bookmark this blog and follow me on X!
Next time, I plan to write about the first major hurdle: "Coil production and waveform generation circuit troubles". Stay tuned! 

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

【自作量子コンピュータ NMRQCP】いよいよ稼働かと思いきやデバッグ地獄